Venue: The Cathedral
The Cathedral of Christ the King was first established as a parish church in 1945. The cornerstone of the present building was laid in 1965. It was dedicated in 1967. The church, designed by Edward J. Schulte, is in a traditional cruciform plan. Constructed of stone, its hallmark is a tower above the main altar, and its excellent acoustic of 1.8 seconds reverberation.
The church holds approximately 1000 people. The choir area can seat 50 singers plus brass and tympani. Approximately 80 singers standing (with additional risers) can be accommodated in front of the altar for choral concerts. We can also manage approximately 65 instrumentalists in front of the altar and inside the communion rail area.
The stained glass windows were designed and fabricated by Gabriel Loire in Chartres, France. The main window was designed by Sister Mary Ernestine Ott, C.D.P.
The new organ was built by Randall Dyer & Associates, Jefferson City, TN. It is made up of 43 ranks,3 manuals and pedal, and has 2,511 pipes. Installation completed in late 2012. The instrument specifications are on-line in [pdf — Adobe Acrobat] format and as an [Excel Spreadsheet].
The church property has parking for 261 vehicles with a small amount of overflow area for additional cars.